This is a recipe for an alternative egg on toast with avocado and tomatoes.
Good old egg on toast with a slight twist.
This tasty recipe, poached egg on toast with avocado and tomatos. It makes for a perfect breakfast, or post-workout snack. We have used avocado as an alternative to butter because it is rich in heart-friendly, mono-unsaturated fats, which complements the poached eggs and tomatoes. The ingredients shown serves 2 people.
Ingredients (serves 2):
2 medium eggs
1 small ripe avocado
2 slices wholemeal bread
1 handful of rocket (optional)
Per serving: 385 kcal | 20g fat | 4g saturates | 31g carbs | 16g protein
1. Heat a non-stick frying pan with a little oil.
2. Cut the tomatoes in half and cook them, cut side down, in the pan until they have softened and slightly caramelised.
3. Meanwhile, heat a pan of water, carefully break the eggs in and leave to poach for 1-2 minutes until the whites are firm but the yolks are slightly runny.
4. Toast the bread.
5. Half and stone the avocado, scoop out the flesh and smash on to the toast.
6. Add the eggs, season as necessary and add a handful of rocket (optional).